2 cups or 450g whole-milk ricotta
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 large egg
3/4 cup or 170g grated Parmesan
4 cups or 900g of spaghetti tomato sauce
255 grams no-boil lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
455 grams Italian sausage, casings removed and meat chopped into small pieces, optional
4 cups or 460 grams shredded mozzarella
- Mix the ricotta, Italian seasoning, egg and 1/2 cup Parmesan in a medium bowl until combined.
- Add 1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup water to the bottom of a large Dutch oven with a lid. Top with 3 noodles, breaking them as necessary to fit. Pour 1 cup sauce over the noodles and spread to cover. Dollop a third of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles and spread it out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle a third of the sausage on top of the ricotta if using. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat the layers 2 more times with the noodles, sauce, ricotta, sausage if using and mozzarella. Finish with another layer of noodles and the remaining 1/2 cup sauce. Top with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Cover with the lid.
- Prepare coals or a campfire for cooking at medium-high heat. Arrange the coals so there is a hole in the centre large enough to hold the Dutch oven without it touching any of the coals directly. Place the Dutch oven in the hole. With tongs or a shovel, place a few coals on the lid of the Dutch oven. Cook for 20 minutes, rotating the pot occasionally. Remove the coals from the lid and take the Dutch oven off the fire. Let sit, covered, for 15 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Special equipment: a 12-inch 8-quart Dutch oven with a lid
Rosemary, Feta & Walnut Damper
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup rosemary sprigs, finely chopped
- 2 tbs Moroccan seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 80g cold butter, chopped
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 200°c. Grease a baking tray.
2. Sift flour into a bowl. Add rosemary, seasoning and salt. Stir until combined. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir feta and walnuts into mixture. Combine 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 cup water in a jug. Add to flour mixture and stir until mixture comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead into a 20cm-round bun. Cut a large cross on top and brush lightly with remaining milk. Season. Transfer to tray.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
Strip off rosemary leaves, chop them with garlic and add flavour to lamb or roasted veggies. Keep the stems and use as skewers on the bbq.